Friday, April 4, 2008

A Lazy Mommy Moment - April 3, 2008

Recently Jonathan has taken to make the middle of the night (very early morning) feeding a very long one. He eats for about 30 minutes and almost falls asleep, I start to look forward to returning to my bed and yet he is not peaceful. As is on queue, as soon as I lay in bed again, I hear him wailing ... and so I get up again, try to get him to sleep, rock him in my arms and another half hour goes by. Now he is hungry again. He stopped eating earlier and I was sure he was done, and now he eats again all greedy sucking quickly... usually after this second round of food he eventually falls asleep again and after an hour of forced wakefulness I return to bed.

Last night, on April 3rd, 2008 this was not the case. Jonathan called again and we went through the routine of mom's arms and some more to eat for the third time. Yet he was not at peace, but dead tired...so I gave up and shook my husband and informed him it was his turn. Lutz (my husband) got up, checked the diaper and gave him food for the fourth time and still he was not quiet. At this moment I just lost it! Or perhaps one might say I had an enlightenment; as Jonathan had eaten plenty and was safe in his bed (he can roll and move about a lot but he still cannot get out of his bed! thanks God!) I decided he could be left to his own devices and could try to put himself to sleep. And so I had a lazy mommy moment and asked my husband to simply close the door to our room. The sounds from Jonathan's room were hence weakened and we could both continue to sleep.

This morning I hardly heard Jonathan because of the closed door and only woke up when he was crying loudly. I guess I earned about 10 minutes more sleep... In a new parent's life, every second of sleep counts :-)

No comments: