Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bonuses and helping out.

Jonathan is showing an understanding of concepts. Like that of being a good boy and helping out. And of course the concept of reward. He is also an attentive child and likes to help out.

We were walking to kindergarten one morning and he explained to me that he is being a good boy, all grown up and well behaved. Thus he demanded a reward for his behaviour in the shape of a chocolate drink to be purchased across the street from the kindergarten.
As this habit started but a month before the summer holiday (and we are due to enter a new kindergarten) I saw no point in fighting him but rather a chance to strengthen his understanding of the reward. Thus he enjoyed many a chocolate drink bonuses in the following month, until the summer holiday. His latest reward was being taken to the zoo, after being a good boy and going to the new kindergarten without making trouble for two days straight - he even admitted having fun on the second day! I was very glad to hear it.

One afternoon as I was resting, my mother spent time with Jonathan in the TV room. She also was tires and so she decided to lay down next to the boy. Jonathan noticed it and brought her a blanket and covered her. He likes to help out and always asks if he can help. He always tries to help, thus trying to help me carry things (like our shopping bag from the supermarket, or a heavy box – then I have to tell him not to help...so he will not get hurt). Grabbing the broom and sweeping or the mop for washing the floor is typical. He likes to bring his own juice to the living room and even to prepare it himself. We try to encourage this helping and independence tendencies – but I must admit it is sometimes a trail to my patience as it can create a big mess (e.g. juice syrup all over the kitchen) or it forces me to have to wait until he gets things done, which could go a lot faster if I helped him out. I do my best to be patient. Jonathan usually asks for my assistance when he gives up working on a task alone. He wails his failure by complaining about his lack of success (mommy, I have not succeeded, is a typical wail/cry out for help).

No comments: