Thursday, October 23, 2008

Motivation toward Development

Jonathan is the ultimate proof that satisfaction encourages stagnation. As long as he is satisfied walking pushing a chair and standing while leaning on a shelf (or mommy's legs) he will not learn to truly walk or stand. Further development is clearly a matter of motivation to achieve.

At almost 11 months of age Jonathan has finally clapped his hands! Until now, despite repeated demonstration on my part, with encouraging smiles, he has shown no interest in performing this feat! Now for some reason he has picked it up (probably following another child from his kindergarten), but still not with the same wholeheartedness as his second cousin, who claps really loudly and thus extorts the cheering smiles of his parents (my cousin and his wife) and any other adult who happens to be about – including me. I admit that as a mother I was a bot frustrated that Jonathan did not clap his hands before his little cousin...after all he rolled onto his stomach and stood up first! And so I am once again being taught by my son that babies are efficient beings, if there is nothing to be had from a certain endeavor, then why bother? And I guess clapping was somehow not of interest (even though my smiles and cheers were to be had...) until now.

Although he clearly loves music, he is not interested in children's song I sing with movements and clapping, and does not copy these movements in any way. Also I think he likes to create music (or noise) rather than just hearing it. The book combined with a piano I go for him at the supermarket for a bargain price has suddenly dies out! So now I haver to find a new music creating toy! As long as the book worked, and Jonathan could cause it to play songs by pressing its keys, it was most definitely his favorite toy!

Jonathan's walking while pushing a chair is becoming more steady and determined. He is also learning to navigate, and can turn corners with the chair, pushing merrily and complaining bitterly when the chair will not continue forward, like when it is blocked by the carpet. He can get to any corner in the house either with the chair or by crawling and thus shows no interest in more independent methods of movement, like walking holding both mommy's hands, not to mention walking quite alone. I know it is also a matter of strength (he still needs to lean on something to stand – although he now can let go for a millisecond before landing on his bottom...), he must grow strong enough to walk on two feet, still I think motivation had to do with the speed of his development. As long as he is happy to move about as he now does, he will simply not bother to take the next step...literally!

Despite the fact that his cousin has caught up with him and even surpasses Jonathan in some of the baby achievements that the books discuss as development stages there is not reason to worry about Jonathan's development. He seems to be a healthy and happy baby with endless curiosity and who (just like his dad) loves to communicate with people. He is always flirting with old ladies in the street when we take a stroll, reaching out to them and smiling! And they love it! Cooing to him they complement me on how cute he is. Who am I to argue with that... I always tell them that I know it is so! When we are “driving” in the stroller (or in the car too) he is sitting up straight and looking about him, taking it all in! In the bathtub he chases the transparent water, clearly following its flow, and when we spin together on a chair in the living groom he enjoys the sensation and I can clearly see his pupils moving as he follows the objects around him from the spin. He turns his head always in the right direction in reaction to sudden sounds or music and he is always chatting merrily, even mumbling first syllables in relation to mom, dad and food!

Next week we have an appointment at the “Development Doctor” (Jonathan was supposed to be inspected at the age of 9 months, but we could not get an appointment) and it will be interesting to hear the analysis, although I am sure she will only repeat what I have just written. Jonathan is displaying acute sharpness...when it suits him, of course. As already said, motivation is the key...

No comments: