Saturday, July 26, 2008

Turns out my son is famous!

Although I had always known Jonathan was a fast moving baby, I had no idea he had a fast moving reputation too...

I had always known that Jonathan's motoric capabilities were very advanced for his age. He rolled over just at 3 months, was crawling at 5 months and stood up the first time at 6 months holding his crib walls, even before he could sit up straight (he did that at 7.5 months). I also always knew he was a strong baby and also fearless, as in he can crawl over (or under) just anything, no matter how high or large, to get to his goal.
What I did not know, is that he has developed quite a reputation because of these feats. Turns out my boy is quite famous among the kindergarten parents. Turns out many mothers coming to the day care center to pick up their offspring have been watching my Jonathan on the move! Turns out he is the talk of the day care center, and the ladies who take care of him love to tell stories about him to anyone who will hear. Their favorite story is that when the children are divided to age groups for their lunch (one group 3-12 months; this is Jonathan's group, and the other 12-18 months), Jonathan usually wonders off to join the older group and he grabs food from the older ones and in general disrupts the process of feeding and diaper changing. The ladies in charge of the older group must always call upon the care taker of Jonathan's group to come and get him!

And so, at the end of the year gathering, which took place yesterday, I learned that many parents know my boy by name, even though they met me for the first time. Even parents of the children who are in the older age groups (2-4 years) have heard about Jonathan. This is despite the fact that the older children's kindergarten is located several streets away from the building in which Jonathan and the children of up to 2 years of age spend their time. That came about because one of the ladies in the baby day care center got sick and had leave for two weeks. The replacement came in the form of one of the kindergarten teachers who is usually employed caring for children on 2-4 years of age. When this lady returned to the older children's group, she came back full of stories about this amazing baby who is developing fast and who is always on the move!

The ladies at the day care center have taken to greeting him in the morning by calling him names such as “Hercules” and “Chuck the bandit” because he is always turning everything up side down! They tell me he loves to pull drawers of toys open and throw out all the contents. Opening closets that contain clothes for the other children and turning the contents out is also pure satisfaction for Jonathan, I am not sure his care takers see this in the same positive light... The care takers love to tell me his mishaps and daily adventures everyday when I come to pick him up! Once even a mother of another boy decided to wait for me to come pick Jonathan up, so she could at last see who is the mother of the wonder boy!

Jonathan has now started “cruising” using the table in the living room or our library shelves to hold on to while he walks along the object towards a desired book or toy! Well, Jonny boy! All I can say is, you had better start walking without any help soon! After all, you have a reputation to keep!

No comments: