Saturday, November 2, 2013

Speech pearls and genius ideas

Jonathan still has some speech pearls and cute mistakes, although he is almost 6 years old.
I used to enjoy it every time when he said that he thinks he has a "genius idea"...but then it seemed as if he is mixing the Hebrew word for genius with the Hebrew word for reasonable or logical.
Genuis is "GEONI" and logical is "HEGIONI".
weather his idea is genius (i.e bright and innovative) or logical (following a consecutive thinking path), I think the deceleration is still very sweet, no matter what type of idea he thinks he  has...(I tend to think that he thinks about genius bu says logical).

Jonathan heard a recording of mummy singing and asked how can it be done? In the era of smartphones, a demonstration was easily arranged and Jonathan enjoyed his first smartphone recording session. He sang a familiar children song, making deliberate mistakes and then laughing at himself. (Shakshuka means eggs with tomato source, Hashuka means to the market...the children song starts with the words I shall go to the market...Jonathan was singing I shall go eggs...)

Jonathan is starting to express more complex ideas.
for example: if mommy needs to work for money, then is mommy will work more hours then mommy will have more money...I learned this turn of logic one evening when I returned late from work and my son directly wanted to send me to work some more...because he wanted me to have enough money to buy him all the toys he wants...and I have only myself to blame because I have explained to him more than once that I must go to work in order to earn money for his food,clothes and toys...(and this is why I cannot stay with him in kindergarten).

Another interesting turn of thought was when Jonathan scolded me, declaring that he was not a waitress! I has asked him to remove his plate from the table to the sink (at the age of 5.5 years, removing his plate is his main task in the household, along with tidying up his toys - a task he only performed when I help...). Jonathan ususally removed his plate promptly when being reminded (and sometimes even before he is reminded to do so) but on that particular evening he was engrossed in a TV show (Sponge-Bob Sqaure-pants , if I am not mistaken) and he did not comply, but instead asked me if I thought he was a waitress, that he needed to remove plates from tables? It is needless to say that Jonathan was scolded heavily, made to remove his plate, and was at the receiving end of a lecture that mothers are not service maids in the house, right after I managed to swallow hard so as to prevent the burst of laughter and mirth that his so sudden a declaration had caused...

Just a week ago, Jonathan's teacher for social skills (yes, they have such classes...and Jonathan is attending one especially in the afternoons, as part of his preparation for school next year) told me how pleased she was that Jonathan was expressing his thoughts and difficulties clearly. Jonathan had to work on a drawing together with another child and they had to make decisions together and agree on things, and Jonathan found compromising with another very difficult, and he was ale to say so to his partner and his teacher.

If I needed more proof that Jonathan's expression capabilities are improving, I got it  yesterday, when Jonathan scolded his grandmother because he thought she insulted his father.
My mother only mentioned that Gummibaerchen, fruit jelly candy from Germany that my husband and Jonathan both love, is sweet and unhealthy. Jonathan reacted in defense of the sweets, the land they represent (Germany) and his father who takes care to have the sweets brought to us from Germany at every opportunity. My mother was not offended, but rather satisfied that her grandson could stand his own (and his fathers)  ground. I was happy that Jonathan expressed himself so clearly.

And in three weeks, Jonathan will be 6 years old! how time flies!



No comments: