Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sick together

I have a nasty cold and its the second time in less than two months. Jonathan has cold too, but somehow he remains agile, while I can hardly stand... the only excuse I have is that by now I am nine months pregnant.

Jonathan's mommy is sick with a nasty cold. The first result of my staying home I that Jonathan comes in late to kindergarten. Without my getting up and pushing things, the boy can sleep the morning though! (except on Fridays and Saturdays – the only days that I am not working and hence can sleep late. Jonathan needs t be pulled out of bed the entire working week, but on Friday and Saturday he gets up at 7.00! and for us – and him – that is just too early...). We are not a family of morning people and in winter time we all have an even harder time getting out of the warm covers. Still my husband and son beat me cold in this contest and I am always the first one to get up – except now I am sick, so I just do not.

The second result is that Jonathan, at 4 years of age, is showing true concern for my well being. He came into my room this morning and insisted that I share his chocolate pudding breakfast. He also said he wants to cuddle with me and that we are sick together! This is not the first time he is showing such concern. When he first registered that |I am pregnant and will have to give birth in the hospital (that is how things are done in Israel...) he asked me more than one time on the phone if mommy needs to go to hospital now. Now that the birth is getting near, I am preparing him once more for the fact that I must go away to give birth, but so far he has not demonstrated the same concern but is rather interested in the baby I will bring home with me when I return.

The third result of my staying home sick is that Jonathan wants to stay home to. He maintains that he is truly sick too and has pain in his stomach (a standard complaint of the average Israeli child who want to duck duties...). He groans and hold his stomach as he repeats the complaint and then he coughs for more effect. It is amazing how early they learn these little manipulations, its just a shame for Jonathan that I read right through him and he is obliged to go to kindergarten just the same.

The fourth result on my being sick and croaking like a toad is that I now definitely know that my son has a sense of humor. He joined me in my room this morning for the ritual morning cuddle and then began to “croak” himself. With a squeaky voice he announced that “I am speaking like a worm” imitating my hoarse voice. We both has a good laugh – turns out laughing is really good for you and it opens a blocked nose... who knew...

No comments: