Sunday, June 19, 2011

DYI-Do it yourself

do it yourself is not just a fashion supported by Ikea sprouting new branches everywhere, it is a staple in every toddlers arsenal of “I am all grown now”. At the age of 3.5 years, Jonathan is clearly in the “why” stage. Everything must be questioned, every trigger reacted upon and every task performed independently.

The words “I can do it!” or “Me alone!” or “by myself!” are probably the phrases I hear most often in recent weeks. Jonathan has declared that he is a bog boy and that he can do everything himself. This results in many frustrating moments. First he is frustrated if I try to help or do something for him, then he tried it alone and gets frustrated and wails if it does not work out. Regardless, Jonathan is indeed becoming more adept in conducting daily tasks.
He wants me to watch as he gets dressed and he can indeed dress alone, which the exception of putting on his socks and his shoes. He manages his “Spider man” “Crocks” sandals however very well.

He wants to pour his own soft drink and usually gets the job done neatly without too much spilling. In fact the only serious spilling occurs if I try to help...

Cutting his food is the next challenge (he is only allowed to cut soft foods with a spreading butter knife). Spreading chocolate on his sliced bread is a task already conquered.

He likes to think that he knows and that he can help. But when it does not suit him to do so, its always nice to be able to lean on mommy again. Thus when he was tired the other day after returning from the playground (mommy watch me climb...yaaaa....uuuhhh.... do not fall...be careful sweety) on a warm afternoon, it was cool to ride piggyback on mommy (the only way I can still carry him – he weighs almost 20 Kgs). “Only you” is a phrase I have also heard often enough recently, and it signals Jonathan return to toddler-hood and dependence on my assistance. It is mostly used for tasks he does not are to complete (like tidying up his toys, or putting his shoes in their place).

The compromise between “me alone”and “only you” is probably “its difficult for me” - this declaration signals that he is trying to complete a task but not getting it right – thus asking for my help at the last minute. “Its difficult for me” has become music to my ears – ah, he still needs me after all! I wonder already when he will cease to need my help, and he is just 3.5 years old! Life is so shirt and he is growing up sooo fast – what will I think when he is a teenager and no longer gives me the time of day? Another favourite of mine is “together” - wanting to do something together with me, such bliss!

Just the other day, Jonathan saw a self made video of me singing. Seeing me on the computer screen caught his attention and he requested to see mommy again and again on the screen. By the time his enthusiasm reduced, he already got the tune of the recorded song and yesterday he asked me to sing it for him and then “together” - he wanted to sing it with me. I naturally complied! The boy id a musical prodigy! He sang long before he could talk and his love of music has not dyed down now that he is able to express himself in speech. He loves to sing together with me and we usually sing children's songs and stuff from his DVD's – but this time he wanted the song from the Video, which is a traditional Hebrew text and not created for children – Ah! My heart rejoiced a the request There is hope for the INTERNET generation to which my son belongs – they will be connoisseurs of culture yet! As long as mommy can sing it right!

No comments: